Monday, August 17, 2009

07_07_09_Colosseo






The Colosseum

The Colosseum was originally called the Flavian Amphitheatre. It was built in the first century, approximately 70 - 72 AD and was finished in 80 AD. It was built buy Vaspasian, and then completed by Titus. A few later “touch ups” were done by Domitian. The 50,000 person seating stadium was made out of marble and concrete. It was used for gladiator fights and public speeches. The stadium was very interesting. It was originally a complete four story building, which had later deteriorated over time, because of earthquakes, and stone robbers. The stadium had very high open arches for the windows, and tall columns surrounding each window. The building had an open ceiling which was about 300ft. long and about 200 ft wide. During the hot summer days they would have a cover that went across the top of the stadium to prevent the sun from beaming down on the people, and to try and keep it cooler. The stadium was made on a flat area between the Caelian, Esquiline and Palatine Hills. I chose this specific work of art because I am reminded by it every day from a little pizza store in my town named the Coliseum, however they spell it the ancient way, Colosseum. I would go in there every day after school and always wanted to go to Italy to see it because they have beautiful pictures of Italy hanging up around the store. Now that I have seen it and have been able to compare it to pictures I was very surprised. You don’t realize how much detail you don’t actually see in pictures. When we went there and I was able to see all the details of the stadium and actually be able to say I saw it, and walked in and around it, is an experience of a lifetime, which I don’t think I will ever forget. Another reason is because one of my bar customers knew that I was going to Italy and told me that it was one of her favorite places to visit, and she got me very excited to go and visit. As well as my grandfather who had lived in Italy for 2 years, and came back to visit 5 other times. I think the average roman responded differently to how we respond to it today. I think that they responded to it as a place for them to “go”, and we respond to it as a massive building that was beautiful, and essentially a period in time that put us all where we are today.
Hillary Woodrow, Survey of Art and Architecture in Italy, Berkeley College

No comments:

Post a Comment